Advancement Officer – West Coast
Based on the West Coast of the United States, The Advancement Officer for the West Coast is charged with building a network of financial supporters for the Bethlehem University Foundation in the western half of the United States. Position is based on the West Coast and reports directly to the Executive Director.
The Advancement Officer works alongside the Development staff in developing new tools and media to support the position while also growing an awareness of the work of Bethlehem University Foundation to a new audience.
The Advancement Officer will strengthen existing and develop new donor relationships in order to increase financial support of the Bethlehem University Foundation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Working with the Foundation staff, current donors, members of the Board, and Patrons, the Advancement Officer is charged with developing a network of financial supporters on the Western half of the United States committed to supporting Bethlehem University Foundation in its mission of supporting Bethlehem University.
2. The Advancement Officer will proactively identify and assess current donors and new prospects as potential major donors ($25,000+) and planned giving donors. Develops a donor prospect pipeline and creates, manages, and advances effective relationships with prospects toward the goal of appropriate solicitation. Initiates and implements additional major gifts and planned giving stewardship and cultivation programs as determined to be appropriate.
3. Creates and thereafter maintains a portfolio of at least 120 prospects include 30 major donors. Portfolio will include current and new Patrons.
4. Solicits new donors focusing on the growth of the Foundation Annual Fund while working with current and new major donors to grow Foundation investment portfolio and solicit gifts for designated projects at Bethlehem University.
5. The Advancement Officer plans an annual West Coast event in order to raise funds and grown an awareness of the Foundation and the work of Bethlehem University.
6. Position plans and oversees smaller events around the region in order to grow awareness and support for the Foundation.
7. Develops and maintains productive and respectful relationships with regional diocesan bishops, clergy/religious, donors, and friends of the Bethlehem University Foundation.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum five years prior experience in fundraising, preferably in annual giving.
• Proven professional fundraiser with a record of successfully closing gifts of $25,000 or more.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Commitment to the values and mission of Bethlehem University
• A self-starter with initiative and follow through even when no one is overseeing their work; seeks opportunities for collaboration and cooperation with Bethlehem University Foundation office.
• Ability and willingness to travel extensively.
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising software and/or ability to learn a new system quickly required. Experience in managing an organization’s database required.
• Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and communications skills.
• Detail oriented with excellent organization skills, including the ability to manage multiple demands and/or projects simultaneously.
• Ability to apply sound judgment, maintain the confidentiality of proprietary data, and conduct oneself with integrity and focus.
• Flexibility to attend and staff evening and weekend events as required.
• Desire to work both independently and collaboratively and with spirit of teamwork and cooperation.
Position will start no earlier than the 1st of September 2020 in order to correspond with the Foundation’s Fiscal Year.
Qualified candidates are asked to send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquires can be sent to John Schlageter at JLS@bufusa.org.